From the Vault: More spring compression in Nerf Recon

View previous topic View next topic Go down

From the Vault: More spring compression in Nerf Recon

Post  analogkid on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:09 am

Originally posted on NerfHaven January 3, 2008.

Ok, so I got the first ever Recon sold in the Niskayuna, NY Target. They were unpacking the boxes in the nerf aisle and hadn't even gotten to the Recons, but I asked if they had it, and indeed it was in one of the boxes. Anyway, so the last two days I've been looking at it trying to make the somewhat mediocre ranges better. An AR removal (which was very annoying) was the first step. I noticed that the spring is not fully compressed when the gun is cocked, however. This is the fix:
Take your Recon

Get It Apart

(The E-Tape on the bolt is from my AR removal/fiasco)

Take some sort of wire, I used two conductor 24 gauge speaker wire, and wrap it around the plunger tube at the end that is furthest into the gun, the left side in the above photo. 3 times around was perfect for me. Then E-Tape it there nice and securely.

Put it back the way you found it.

To test, put the other side of the gun back on, hold everything together, and make sure it still cocks. If not, trim some wire off. Mine requires a pretty swift pull to get it to cock, but that is because the spring is at full compression.
This did improve range on my Recon, but it is hard to measure because the streamlines are floaty and do not always go their full distance. CDTS didn't work to well for me either, but I might just be an error in making them.

Since completing this mod, BlackFox of NH has informed me that sch. 40 3/4" thin wall PVC also works instead of the wire. I have also heard of this done with many layers of electrical tape and no wire.
analogkid

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-01-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Vault: More spring compression in Nerf Recon

Post  Admin on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:21 am

BRAVO! BRAVO! Nice write-up.
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-01-06

View user profile http://thenerffreaks.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  One-Eyed Wolf on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:09 am

Nice write-up. It was very clear, and is a good idea. This would likely only apply to someone who doesn't want to risk ruining their spring via stretching. Also, I have a newer generation Recon, and it fully compresses the spring, as far as I could tell (even before being stretched), so I don't think this applies to newer gen Recons either.

Otherwise, good job.
One-Eyed Wolf

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rogue Warrior on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:28 am

You guys do realize that this modification is not new right? This came out when the recon first did.
Rogue Warrior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  analogkid on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:26 am

analogkid wrote:Originally posted on NerfHaven January 3, 2008.

I'm the one that posted it originally and I made note of that at the beginning of my post. I also titled it "From the Vault", as I will with anything that I repost from somewhere else.
analogkid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  One-Eyed Wolf on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:35 pm

analogkid wrote:
analogkid wrote:Originally posted on NerfHaven January 3, 2008.

I'm the one that posted it originally and I made note of that at the beginning of my post. I also titled it "From the Vault", as I will with anything that I repost from somewhere else.
I'm aware of this. I was adding my two cents though. Just because it's an old topic (elsewhere obviously), doesn't mean we can't post if we're being productive. I was letting people know this isn't for everyone.
One-Eyed Wolf

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top